Saturday, June 11, 2011

Let me jump in.

Hey. I finally finished this book a few days late of everyone else. I really loved this book! I do agree with Austin that Steinbeck obviously infuses many of his diverse characters with his life philosophy, especially Sam Hamilton and Lee, but I am a sucker for that kind unrealistic optimism found in both of them. Sam Hamilton's character seems a little idealistic, especially when he describes his choice between being a mediocre man and a great one (Sam chose mediocrity) and the similar struggle his son Tom is going through, predicting Tom will choose greatness. How does Sam know his son is destined for greatness? Anyways, that was only a small sticking point. I basically just loved the characters Sam and Lee and I don' know how we have gotten this far without talking about them.

I love Lee because he is a tireless man who deeply cares for those around him. Lee's stability and predictability also render my highest regards. Although Lee's character and actions do not provide the excitement, plot twists, or deep soul searching that give books punch, I love Lee because he gives me something safe to hold onto throughout the ups and downs. Lee represents wisdom and responsibility. He holds the family together through many calamities; Cathy's shoot and run, Adam's lettuce fiasco, Aron's death and Adam's stroke. But Lee isn't the hard, determined character of Liza who similarly works hard to keep her household running. He's extremely gentle and a little new to this whole deal of raising a family, but does it very well in his eccentric way. I had to laugh when Lee threatened to fight Aron after Aron refuses to tell his father about his test scores. Steinbeck created the perfect protagonist in Lee and I just ate it up.

I will never forget Sam Hamilton either for many of the same reasons used to describe Lee. I think Lee and Sam are very obvious protagonists, or "good people"; they are the only people that scare Cathy, the epitome of evil, but through them some of the novels best themes and questions come out. Lee is the one who brings up the whole dispute over the word timshel and Sam stoutly defends the belief that people create themselves rather than inherit good or evil from their breeding. Favorite quote from Sam and Lee (they are discussing the twins chances of being good or evil after Cathy left them):
Lee: "You can't make a racehorse out of a pig."
Sam: "No, but you can make a very fast pig."
Hahahaha.
I can't remember who was saying this, I think it was Austin, but one reason we love characters is because we relate to them. Sam Hamilton reminds me a lot of my dad--another reason for me to adore him. I feel like sometime in the book Sam was described with a beard, which my dad sported all my childhood until last year. Also, Sam and my dad are both very philosophical, well-read, intelligent, if at times a little impractical, and dearly love their children (most dads do). In fact, I think the whole Sam and Liza relationship describes by parents nearly perfectly. It's quite funny. Sam is dreamy, jolly and bookish while Liza is practical, in control, and unstoppable. Sam playfully banters with Liza, calling her a "smidgen of a wife" (my mother is actually quite short), and Liza, having no time for such frivolities when there is work to be done, sharply says, "Samuel, please go out of my kitchen." But despite Liza's retort at times, you know Sam and Liza really love each other. I can't describe my parents any better way.

My comments on this book are focused very tightly on two characters because I'm writing this post rather late in the reading and Austin and Ali did a great job discussing broader themes and overviews of this book. I just wanted to put my two cents in. Really enjoyed this book, it's all I've been thinking about for a few days.

So what is the next book? Jesus is the Christ? Poisonwood Bible? I would rather not read Poisonwood Bible again, but I say since we all are choosing a book, if Jordan wants it, then I'll read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment